Fresh Grapes = Healthier Menus
There are plenty of compelling reasons to add healthy, fresh grapes from California to your menu. Among them is the increased scrutiny by consumers, health experts and regulatory agencies regarding the availability of opportunities to make healthy food choices when dining out.
Today, foodservice operators are rising to the challenge, sometimes simply offering healthier choices based on the dining habits and the requests of their customers. Other times, the entire menu needs an overhaul with innovative reformulation strategies.
You know your customers best. That said, here is some information on the health benefits of fresh grapes and some ideas for adding them to your menu.
Grapes To Go
Fresh grapes: The Original Superfruit
Humans have been cultivating and eating fresh grapes for millennia. Certainly sustenance and pleasure are among the reasons. Today, we know more about why grapes are so beneficial for us, so beneficial that they are increasingly categorized as a “superfood.” Here are a few reasons why:
- A 3/4 cup serving of grapes contains just 90 calories, no cholesterol and virtually no sodium or fat. Grapes contain potassium and vitamin K, as well as some fiber and other vitamins and minerals.
- Fresh grapes from California are a natural source of beneficial plant compounds, including antioxidants and other polyphenols.
- Antioxidants may help maintain health by defending against damaging free radicals that can harm cells.
- Research suggests that polyphenols may help maintain a healthy heart.
Grape and Green Tea Smoothie
7 Ways to Boost Your Menu's Health Factor with Grapes
- Offer grapes as an option to french fries or chips with burgers and sandwiches.
- Add grapes to your salad bar.
- Offer a fresh cluster of grapes on your “sides” or “extras” menu.
- Kids love grapes, and parents do too, when they see them on a Kids’ Menu.
- Roast grapes as the base for a healthful, flavorful sauce to accompany center-of-the-plate proteins.
- Combine grapes with other “power” ingredients – such as nuts, salmon, spinach and salad greens – to create a “super” healthy menu feature.
- Package grapes as a fresh grab ‘n go option: they are beautiful, portable and very shareable.
Seared Salmon with Spinach and Grapes
Show Us Your Best!
Are you using grapes in interesting and healthful ways? We'd love to hear about it! Contact us.